Talk about repurposing! Many years ago I bought a box of Gallic cavalry from Warlord Games, to add to my Dacian army. I misplaced – or rather, accidentally used elsewhere – the plastic sprue included in the box, and these metal horses and attached lower bodes have been on my lead pile ever since.
However, as I am in full Ancients mode, I decided to dig them out and do something creative with them! I have some more Gauls on foot from Victrix lying about, to which I took a saw. I took care to match the naked torsos with the horses that have lower bodies without the hem of a tunic showing, and vice versa for the others; I also had to file away some chainmail on some lower bodies. Most of the joins went together without the need for putty, although it isn’t perfect – but the neck of the horses hide most of this just fine.
As these horses are quite a bit smaller than the (overly) large mounts from the Victrix Gallic Cavalry set I have opted to arm these riders with javelins. I did use the helmeted heads for all these guys – in spite of their light armament these guys wouldn’t have been the poorest men in the tribe, given their ownership of a horse. I might go back in and give them shields, however. In WAB there is no entry for unshielded cavalry, and the addition of shields with Little Big Men transfers will make my paintjob look far better than it actually is!
As said, I have been in Ancients painting mode for the last few weeks. My Carthaginian army is close to being completely finished, if you can believe it. I’ll try and do a full spread on them if the weather permits it. Keep your eyes peeled for that one, it’ll be glorious!