French Dragoons for a Friend

I finally gathered the courage needed to continue work on some Napoleonics, mainly fuelled by the book I’m currently reading – Adam Zamoyski’s fantastic 1812: Napoleon’s Fatal March on Moscow. For those of you who have yet to read it: go fetch it immediately. While I have a fairly broad range of literary interests when it comes to military history, I do try to have my reading accompany my painting, as I find it gets the proverbial juices flowing in both domains.

 Still, these aren’t my own Napoleonics just yet, but the final part of the commission I’ve been working on for my friend Kurt. For this reason, I chose to paint them up as the 6th regiment of Dragoons, one of the ‘iconic’ Dragoon regiments with red facings, as opposed to my own 23rd  Dragoons with their yellow facings (more on those later, perhaps). So let’s take a look at the first half of the unit!

Perry Miniatures plastics, of course.

Perry Miniatures plastics, of course.

Unsurprisingly, these Dragoons were painted similarly to the Cuirassiers that preceded them, especially for the horses – a basecoat of mournfang brown washed with agrax earthshade and then layered rather brusquely with skrag brown. The green portemanteau, being the main divergence from those blue-clad Cuirassiers, was basecoated warpstone glow, washed with nuln oil and highlighted with warboss green. These two greens go together very well, I’m glad they have a highlight tone for warpstone glow that goes towards white instead of yellow.

Honk if you've ever fought dismounted.

Honk if you’ve ever fought dismounted.

For the riders, I basecoated warpstone glow on the vests, shadow grey on the pantaloons and drybrushed that same grey on the boots and the horsehair of the helmet, before washing the entire model with nuln oil – a massive timesaver! Afterwards, I filled in the blanks in the same way as with the Cuirassiers. The only ‘new’ technique I used was the carroburg crimson wash which I used as a glaze on the red after my highlights turned out slightly too pinkish.

You can see the crude highlighting on the horses in this one.

You can see the crude highlighting on the horses in this one.

Apart from that, everything was fairly run-of-the-mill with the obvious use of copious quantities of ceramite white for all that detailing. I must say I’m really happy with how the white and the buttons came out, they are some of my better efforts in that area so far.

 The other six dragoons including the officers, trumpeters etc. will be done in the near future, as I first want to get some other work out of the way. Among the lucky ones are a pair of French 6-pdr cannon for my own collection and, of course, some more Vikings – my Anglo-Saxon mate and I are gearing up to do our first Hail Caesar battle with them soonish. More on that soon enough, as well as the usual update on Wednesday. Until then!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s