Alright, I’ve finally found the time to photograph my recent work. The entire week was spent on painting and basing these wonderful models, so there wasn’t much I’ve done besides priming the next batch of Vikings (more on that in the parting words, as per usual). I was home sick for much of the week, which ironically reduced my painting time as I paint at work. Still, they were finished in the nick of time. Let’s take a look.
The models themselves are two blisters of Perry Miniatures cannon, one priming and one firing, and one with greatcoats and the other not. I mixed the two groups of artillerymen so as to have the same effect as with my units of line infantry, of which half have greatcoats as well. I bought the same models at Crisis ’13 but proceeded to lose my blisters somewhere, so unfortunately I had to buy them again at the Thunderbolts convention two months ago. Then again, if they do turn up in the future, I’ll have the makings of a Grand Battery!
For the gun models, I tried out one of the GW Edge Paints, gauss blaster green, for the carriage. This was then washed with athonian camoshade. Super simple, although it came out a bit bright. The bronze and metal are hashut copper and runefang steel respectively, with both being washed with agrax earthshade and nuln oil. The bronze was then lightly drybrushed with hashut copper and finally sycorax bronze.
With the crew models however, I painted them up similarly to my line infantry, but as they lack the white pantaloons (or gaiters or whatever) the process was much more straightforward of course. I must say however that I am growing increasingly dissatisfied with how the blue comes out, especially in the pictures. Currently it’s the super easy but much too shallow process of a caledor sky basecoat and a drakenhof nightshade wash, so I might go back at some point and add some highlights, not just to these artillerymen but to my line infantry as well.
Other than that, I think the models came out well. I’m particularly satisfied with the buttons on the uniforms, which were painted with sycorax bronze. There was a fair amount of red to be done and the new GW reds are frankly fantastic, so I was helped immensely in that area as well.
For the bases, I cut some myself out of plasticard, sized 90mm by 60mm, which is fairly much in line with the sizes of my infantry and cavalry bases. I glued on some sand which was painted mournfang brown and drybrushed with tyrant skull. After that, some GW tufts and some woolly kind of clump foliage was added. You’ve seen the same effect on Marshal Ney’s base, too.
That’s pretty much it, kind readers. I’ve got quite a few Vikings that need finishing by the end of the month when we’ll be trying out Hail Caesar, as well as the necessary movement trays for those models which will need to be flocked and such. And in my spare time I’ll be working on those last six Dragoons (procrastination…). Also, I’m rather unhappy to report that I couldn’t resist the temptation of ordering additional units of Sarmatians and a regiment of Swedes for Pike&Shotte. There goes my resolve. More about those later!