Viking Bondi with Bows (and a few stragglers)

As I mentioned last Wednesday, I devoted most of this week to painting up the last Vikings of my Hail Caesar starter army. The Anglo-Saxon and I have decided to do battle next Thursday, and I thought I’d do a spread of updates over the coming days with this update, a couple of shots of the entire army and finishing with a battle report and some afterthoughts on the ruleset. So it’s on to the final Vikings!

These are all Old Glory miniatures.

These are all Old Glory miniatures.

As opposed to the Hirdmen, these models were undercoated white instead of black – the lack of metal parts and large areas of brightly dyed cloth made this an easy decision. I cut major corners again by then washing the models entirely with seraphim sepia.

 

There's a fair amount of different sculpts in the pack I got.

There’s a fair amount of different sculpts in the pack I got.

The wash had the double effect of both immediately providing a finished neutral cloth colour which I kept on many of the models, and of bringing out the detail on these sometimes mediocre sculpts. I then proceeded to basecoat the metal areas and then drybrushed these silver.

 

The poses are sometimes a bit wacky, but they don't distract too much.

The poses are sometimes a bit wacky, but they don’t distract too much.

The colours of the clothes were then added, sometimes by basecoating and then washing, and at other times by simply washing over the sepia as with the yellow areas for example. I used a wide selection of GW colours, too numerous to mention, but most were base colours.

 

I painted the last two hirdmen I needed as well.

I painted the last two hirdmen I needed as well.

There wasn’t much detailing needed, and parts like the leather and the hair were a simple matter of basecoats and washes. And as these archers don’t have shields, I didn’t have to go through the trouble of painting various shield motifs – which is exactly why painting them up went so swiftly.

That concludes my text on them, I believe. I’m not 100% ready on the hobby side for next Thursday, as I have a fair amount of movement trays that require my attention. However I’ll spare you a blog update on these, as I know you readers wouldn’t be much enthused were I to share with you my techniques for painting lasercut MDF. If however you would like me to do just that, please let me know.

Other than that, I’ve finally commenced work on those French dragoons. With a little effort they should be done by the end of next week. Spirits are low on that one, but the prospect of finally ridding myself of them does drive me on. After that, I’m eyeballing a few different possibilities, chiefly more Sarmatians. As ever, you will be kept informed!

Advertisements

2 comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s