I said I’d try and be more productive again this week, and despite a few setbacks: here are the results! I worked on these from Monday afternoon until Thursday noon, which is quite speedy (by my standards) for a small unit such as these. Let’s take a look.
I vowed not to purchase any more models from April to October of this year, but these Sarmatians were part of an order that I placed in May – goodbye credibility! Because of this, I’m pushing myself to complete these models first before moving on to older purchases. Despite these additional purchases my plan for these Dacians & Sarmatians still consists of collecting them piecemeal and only adding to the army once I’ve painted the previous batch.
It will come as no surprise to you readers that I used the same paint scheme as with the Cataphracts. However, because the horse archers lack the ubiquitous armour of their ultra-heavy cousins, I undercoated them white instead of black. I’m not 100% satisfied with my choice, however, as these models have some very deeply moulded details which are hard to reach with a brush; not a problem with black undercoats, but a pain to correct with white undercoats.
Still, once everything was basecoated, I had a great time with highlighting these models. Mixing and matching the different colours for the riders – lilac, red, orange, teal, violet – so that they look unified without a uniform was an enjoyable challenge. I have six more of these lying around and they will probably get some attention soonish.
As an aside to all this painting work, I decided to take stock and to do a quick headcount of all the models I have painted so far this year. There are plenty of models in there that were painted in January and February, before I started the blog, and I might be forgetting a few, but here it goes:
Commissions and gifts:
– French Hired Help: 6 infantry
– French Cuirassiers: 12 cavalry
– French Dragoons: 12 cavalry
– French brigade general: 1 cavalry
– Jomsviking warband: 33 infantry
– Flemish Mercenary unit: 8 infantry
– Napoleon: 1 infantry
– 17th century nobleman: 1 infantry
Total: 49 infantry, 25 cavalry
– Arab warband: 39 infantry, 8 cavalry
– Gripping Beast Viking levies: 12 infantry
– Old Glory Viking Hirdmen: 12 infantry
– Old Glory Viking Bondi with bows: 16 infantry
– Old Glory Viking Berserkers: 12 infantry
– Gripping Beast Viking Hirdmen: 20 infantry
– Sarmatian Cataphracts: 8 cavalry
– Sarmatian Horse Archers: 6 cavalry
– Decebalus and Shaman: 2 infantry
– 4 Dutch Pikemen: 4 infantry
– French 6-pdr cannons: 6 infantry, 2 warmachines
– Space Orks: 2 infantry
– Space Marine Terminators: 4 infantry
– Space Marine Tacticals: 10 infantry
– Space Marine Darkshroud: 1 warmachine
Total: 139 infantry, 22 cavalry, 3 warmachines
Which makes for a grand total of 238 models! By the end of this month, the middle of the year, I should hit the 250 model mark. I’ve purchased between 450 and 500 models this year, so I believe I’m well on the way to having a roughly equal number of models painted by the end of the year. And although this calculation does include commission work which isn’t derived from my ‘pewter-and-plastic backlog mountain’ I do get the impression that I won’t end up with an attic full of half-finished projects… just yet.
Enough banter for today – on to more painting! The Berserkers are nearly finished, and I have no idea yet of what I’ll do next week. A wealth of possibility!