French Dismounted Dragoons

It’s that time of the week again! Yesteryear Wednesday means I dig up some old paintjobs and present them to you, my readers, with varying amounts of pride, shame and certainly nostalgia. Today, I’ll be showing you a not-so-very-old paintjob, dated September 2012. Let’s take a look.

Some Perry Miniatures plastics which are not often seen painted.

Some Perry Miniatures plastics which are not often seen painted.

These guys were painted while on holidays in the Dordogne. The weather there was quite fine, which did cause me some trouble with paint drying up a lot faster than it does in my usual northern habitat. Still, I made good headway with painting several models in that week, and I was very happy to get these done in good time. These dismounted dragoons are not models that will be seeing a lot of action – dragoons no longer dismounted in Napoleonic times as they did in previous centuries – so they were mainly painted for the joy of it.

Feu!

Feu!

Painting them was fairly straightforward and pretty much identical to how I recently commission painted the 6th dragoons. The main exception being, of course, the yellow facings and turnbacks. These were first painted white and then washed with casandora yellow and seraphim sepia. This didn’t turn out quite as well as on my Space Orks, but as I wasn’t packing any conventional yellow paint on my trip, it got the job done alright.

On the turnbacks of the coats you can witness the limitations of the washed yellow technique.

On the turnbacks of the coats you can witness the limitations of the washed yellow technique.

One thing I did recently add to the unit were the GW tufts. I’ve been looking at the ‘oldest’ units in my French army, and the green woolly substance really doesn’t impress when on its own. So I added in just a few tufts in between the wool and I find it looks much better that way. I’ll be adding them to the other models as well before I submit them to the harsh judgement of the lens.

So that’s it for this episode. Next week I’ll likely be showing you the mounted dragoons so that they’re out of the way. In the meantime,  I can report to you that I’m working on some Flemish foot soldiers from the time of Flemish count Baldwin-with-the-Beard. This guy’s name alone is all kinds of awesome, so I hope my models can deliver as well. You’ll find out this weekend!

Advertisements

2 comments

    • laurensvannijvel

      Try it out for yourself: white undercoat then washes of casandora yellow and seraphim sepia. Whenever there’s a sizeable area of yellow to cover quickly I go with this technique.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s