French Dragoons

It’s Yesteryear Wednesday again, and here are those French dragoons I promised you last week, when I showed you the dismounted guys. I’ve been doing some painting today, had a mediocre run on the Finnish track, and now I’m settling down with a couple of White Chimay beers and a good Bernard Cornwell novel for the night. But first, these dragoons!

Another finished unit of Perry Miniatures plastics.

Another finished unit of Perry Miniatures plastics.

Half of this unit was painted right after I came back from France in September last year, but I was so fed up with warpstone green’s coverage issues that I let the rear rank of the unit lie unpainted until the beginning of this year. That’s how bad it was! The impulse to paint them finally came this year when I played a game of WAB – Waterloo with a few veteran players; I had to borrow part of their collection, which I never like to do. There’s just something harrowing about considering the plethora of mishaps that can befall even a veteran wargamer when handling another player’s models!

A white horse for a ranker! Not an error I'll repeat on future units.

A white horse for a ranker! Not an error I’ll repeat on future units.

I must confess I cheated a bit: this unit did receive some brush attention earlier this week. This is because I noticed that the spray varnish I used, the GW purity seal, had left some small white stains and a slightly foggy effect on some of the areas of the models. I don’t know exactly what caused this, and other models that were sprayed with the same spray can, but I felt it had to be corrected. Apart from this, the bases also received additional tufting as I had described last week.

Some further beginner mistakes: one of the epaulettes of the elite company is missing, and the elite company rode black horses.

Some further beginner mistakes: one of the epaulettes of the elite company is missing, and the elite company rode black horses.

So that’s it for these guys. There might be further Wednesdays in the near future where I demonstrate and discuss the existing units of my French Napoleonics as I go about tufting their bases – I still have two battalions of line and a squadron of 9th Hussars which I can show you. But in the interest of variety I will try and vary my offerings, much as I try to vary my week-to-week painting projects. So who knows what next week will bring!

As for progress on those Chevau-Légér Lanciers: slow. I’ve been having a busy week at work and some equally busy evenings, as well as a rather alcoholic weekend coming up, so I might not get the riders done in time. The good news is that I’m doing all eight of them in one go, which does mean I’ll be able to immediately show you a complete unit. Vive l’Empereur, Vive la France!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s