First of all I owe you readers an apology for not having contributed to the blog this week. Things were rather busy with plenty of social gatherings in the evenings which kept me from taking pictures of miniatures both new and old. However, I’ve had an active week of painting again and I have completed two batches of models, which means I’ll do two exhibitional posts this weekend. I hope this will soothe you a bit. First off, we have some more Sarmatians.
These guys were also part of my vow-breaking order of models which included the horse archers and a pike & shotte battalion from Warlord Games, and as I felt rather guilty about said order (I was going to wait until November, you know…) these were next on the list to receive a paintjob. Assembly was fairly straightforward; I had the option of adding bows and arrow quivers and scabbarded swords, but I wanted to keep these guys as simple as possible so that they get the idea across of being lowly ranked tribesmen. As with the horse archers, they were primed white.
Painting was fairly identical to the horse archers as well, although I did try out some more horse skin techniques – all six of them have a different tone of grey or brown. The wicker shields were also fairly novel, in the end I just went the easy road – as if I ever don’t! – and washed them with seraphim sepia over the white undercoat, then drybrushed them with tyrant skull.
There you go – not much more I can say about these models or my paintjob. Further Sarmatians will probably follow shortly, as I have placed a small order via a friend which should arrive in about a week. Not much; another unit of horse archers and four extra cataphracts to bulk out my existing unit. When these are done, I’ll consider the Sarmatian division of my Dacian & Sarmatian army complete, and I’ll do a spread of the entire division on the blog. So with that fairly realistic goal in mind, I shall leave you for today!