I said I’d follow up yesterday’s post quickly, and here we are. The weather is sweltering hot at about 33° celsius, which is an absolutely ridiculous temperature for Belgium. I guess global warming does have his benefits, right? Right? Anyway, I just got back from some excellent beer tasting – an activity I normally wouldn’t recommend in this sort of heat – but I did also receive a sizable heap of Dacians and the final few Sarmatians. More on those later as we do have some entirely different models to look at!
These models were part of an impulse buy I committed in May, and apart from those four test models I hadn’t gotten round to doing more of them until now. It’s a bit of a shame as they paint up rather nicely. I originally planned to do them up as Swedes, but then the Eighty Years War drew my attention and I decided I couldn’t let the opportunity pass me by. The models themselves are sufficiently universal looking to use them as pretty much any northwestern European infantry of the time – which they ought to be as Warlord sells the same sprues in a number of separate kits, differentiated by specific headgear, command models and the like that are cast in metal. They’re truly fantastic boxed sets, the lot, so I heartily recommend you readers to pick one up when you have the chance.
As said, these Dutchmen were assembled from a Swedish kit, which chiefly means I used a number of the typical Swedish morion helmets and Swedish Feathers, the latter being pointy musket rests with fancy names. Although I’m not a history buff with regards to this period in military history, I can imagine that the Dutch of the time were probably not as well equipped. Still, I tend to favour the look of a unit over the recreation of the minutiae of its uniforms and equipment, and I can always conjure up a story about how these Dutchmen were outfitted by their Swedish brothers in faith. I hope the purists among you won’t cringe too much!
Painting-wise I decided to go with the scarce bits of information I managed to find on the interwebs, and focused on grey and dark turquoise-ish uniforms with the traditional orange accents that denote these Dutchmen as Hollanders. I find this creates a nice balance between the mainly cold tones of the uniforms and the warm hues of the orange, the skin and hair. Several kinds of brown were used on wood and leather to make sure that the complementarity of blue and orange wouldn’t be overpowering. I’ll paint the entire battalion in this combination of colours, and if I do a second battalion (probably not anytime soon though) I’ll switch out the grey and blue for a dark green to mix things up.
Something I’m very pleased about is the bases. I still need to find a satisfactory way of hiding the tabs of the models themselves, especially the rather thick ones that these chaps have moulded onto to their feet, but I find the colour of the sand and the contrast with both the tufts and the models themselves to be just right. I hope you like them as well.
That’s it for now! I’m off packing again for my holiday to Slovenia. There won’t be any painting done over there as I’m mainly going for a certain music festival, and camping grounds full of professional drunks don’t make for an effective hobby environment. That is, unless we’re talking about my other hobby, which is: drinking. I shall bid you adieu and until the beginning of August!