Two Companies of the 2e Légère

In the nick of time I’ve completed these two little companies of foot; painting time has been scarce lately due to lots of social gatherings, culminating in a wedding last night where the beer flowed perhaps a bit too freely. Nevertheless, I had some time today to finish the models themselves – although the bases do need tufting. Let’s take a look.

Perry Miniatures plastics without any sort of modification. Lovely models.

Perry Miniatures plastics without any sort of modification. Lovely models.

My French army is currently a bit heavy on cavalry (I just love those Greek-styled helmets so much!) so I decided to start work on another unit of infantry. I already have two battalions of Line, so I thought I’d do a battalion of Light for a change. No doubt the excellent Incomparable by Terry Crowdy played a part in this choice; I’d like to encourage my readers to take a look at this book, it’s a riveting read. Sadly, the 9e Légère did not fight at Quatre-Bras, so I’ve chosen to paint these up as a battalion of the 2e. As if anyone could tell!

The little 'N' on each pouch does help to remind everyone of Napoleon's ego.

The little ‘N’ on each pouch does help to remind everyone of Napoleon’s ego.

I started work on these two companies right before I left for Slovenia, and I had to pick up the paintjob after two weeks, which felt a little jarring. Anyhow, I can still tell you how the early stages of the paintjob went. I threw caledor sky over a black undercoat then washed it drakenhof nightshade. Afterwards a light drybrush of caledor sky was applied. This is a lot more to my liking than the old method which didn’t include the drybrush, and I’ll keep using it from now on. The greatcoats are shadow grey, zandri dust and steel legion washed with nuln oil and then highlighted up with their respective basecoat colours – again a departure from my previous infantry regiments which only have grey greatcoats. It’s been almost a year since I’ve painted French infantry and in the meantime I’ve read a lot of material on the period – and I think it shows.

The sides of the companies. Painting the coat tails proved to be a lot of fun.

The sides of the companies. Painting the coat tails proved to be a lot of fun.

These models are always fun to paint, as with pretty much any Perry kit. Nevertheless my work on this battalion will have to be dispersed between several other projects and some more commission work. I probably won’t resume work on them before the end of the September, after I get back from another vacation in Spain.

As for the rest of the coming week: I will do my best to write a handful of painting guides for some of my models featuring step-by-step photographs. First in line for this treatment will be that lone French general from the War of the Spanish Succession. I’ll also assemble and paint four Sarmatian Cataphracts to bulk out my existing unit. Painting time will still be scarce, but you’ll see how it goes, my dear readers. Until then!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s