The first Red Devils

I have the afternoon off, so it’s time for another blog update! I’ve been a busy bee lately – I’ve painted Flemish crossbowmen, hoplites, ashigaru and some Rus Princes cavalry (more on those tomorrow) in just a week. This week hasn’t been different, with yet more ashigaru, assembly of yet more Rus, and… The first Red Devil section! Let’s take a look, shall we.

Four Paras with Lee-Enfields. Models by Artizan Design.

Four Paras with Lee-Enfields. Models by Artizan Design. Please try to avoid staring at the floating tuft on the rightmost model’s base!

I’ve been waiting quite some time to finally pick up Bolt Action models, and at Crisis my time had finally come. Actually, my girlfriend chose the Red Devils for me, as she likes the colour red. Sometimes it’s that simple! In any case, the history of the British 6th Airborne definitely convinced me, and the uniforms are just smashing.

 

Two troopers with Stenguns, one with a Thompson, and finally another rifleman.

Two troopers with Stenguns, one with a Thompson, and finally another rifleman.

I painted these guys in the same manner as the test model you’ve seen a while back (and below!) – I made generous use of washes, of course. The eyes on some of the models are not exactly well-painted; that’s partly due to being very inexperienced in painting eyes on models, and also due to the fact that I was drinking Duvel Triple Hop at the time. If you like heavy beers, then this one is definitely worth trying out… but not while painting anything other than Jackson Pollockesque tableaus.

 

Two 'special edition' Warlord Games models on the left, and a Bren gunner and loader.

Two ‘special edition’ Warlord Games models on the left, and a Bren gunner and loader.

As you can see, I’ve tried to up the ante with my basing for this project. The bases were first covered with a mix of rough sand and small grit, which was painted dryad bark and drybrushed with terminatus stone. Then some static grass was added, followed by Middenland Tufts by GW and Meadow Flowers by Army Painter.

So there you go: the first section of Paras is done. Beside these Artizan models, I also bought the Red Devil starter box from Warlord Games, which has as another full section in it as well as command, a PIAT and a mortar. The mortar and command sections are actually nearing completion, so you might be getting another Red Devil update this weekend. Other than that, it’s more ashigaru and more Rus – both are commission projects. You’ll probably see progress on these, too. Thanks for reading!

Advertisements

3 comments

    • laurensvannijvel

      My method isn’t perfect, but it’s a mix of cadian fleshtone, caledor sky and black; so a mid-tone flesh colour, mid-tone blue and plain black in a mix until it’s fairly greyish. It’s applied watered down so the highlights I’ve already done on the face can still show through a bit. I hope that helps!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s