As said in last year’s round-up blog post, I wanted my Flemish army to be one of the focal points of 2014’s project lineup. As such, I set about painting up a couple of units straight away. Let’s take a look!
These twelve archers were picked up at Crisis last year, and I’m glad I got them. Some great sculpts – unsurprising as they’re Perry material – in that they have the exact amount of detail needed to get the point across. No unnecessary pouches, frills, belt buckles, folds of cloth… no, just trousers, a tunic, a headdress here and there, and weaponry.
I painted them up as per the other models in the warband, minus the shields which make them a challenge. I think it took me about three days to get these done.
There are of course, these cavalry too:
This unit is a mix of Fireforge and Conquest Games models. The Conquest Games models were built as standard, but for the Fireforge Games Mounted Sergeants, I used spears from the Foot Sergeants which are a lot shorter. In the end, the models blend in well enough as long as you use roughly similar shields and weapons.
Alright, so that’s my Saga warband covered already! A warlord (three eligible models even!), two units of foot warriors, a unit of crossbow-armed warriors, a unit of bow-armed levy and two points of mounted hearthguard. I’ve tried my hand at one game with them using them as Capetian Franks, but it wasn’t a complete success. Anyway, I have a further unit of levies to paint up, as well as more infantry and cavalry, so I’ll try them out as Normans and as Anglo-Danes with Hereward as well.
That’s it for today, take care and check back soon!