Finally some time to update the blog! I’ve been hard at work painting, but the weather has been absolutely terrible so taking pictures was impossible until today. Some nice weather for my 28th birthday, nice eh? Besides this totally unintended gift from Mother Nature, here’s the rest: my girlfriend was kind enough to knit a scarf for me, give me a copy of her grandfather’s memoirs to read, continue work on an adventure book with mementos of all our journeys, order up an authentic print of the scene of Maréchal Ney’s death dated 1816, and last but not least: a trip to London. Words cannot describe how awesome my girlfriend is.
But that’s probably not why you’re reading my blog, so on to the miniatures! First off we have some rather standard pictures to get out of the way, namely:
As my Viking army is growing to a nice size, I want to provide some variety to the different divisions so that they don’t just become Viking Division A, B, C and so on. Hence my choice for incorporating some Northumbrians. As I understand it, this most northern part of England was colonised by the Danes first among the different English kingdoms, and so a sizable part of Northumbrians, once subdued by their new Scandinavian overlords, were pressed into service by the latter against other Englishmen. Hence my choice for a separate division of Northumbrians.
For this reason I used the plastic Anglo-Saxons from Gripping Beast – I conveniently had a second-hand box of them lying around – but used a couple of bodies and heads from the Viking kit as well, just to provide variety.
Painting them was nothing special, although the general lack of beards was a bit off-putting 😉
This is one of the first units in which I’ve opted for a command group. I’ll be doing this more on future batches of Vikings, too: there are several standard bearers and unit ‘champions’ missing in my existing units.
I thought I’d leave my little force of Red Devils be, but then my Heer-playing friend Jeroen decided to get himself a Nebelwerfer, a Panzer III and all that jazz, so I had to order up a small batch of reinforcements just before the new year hit. Not to worry, it’s all been painted already, so the project can safely be called ‘finished’ once more. That is, until someone gifts me a Tetrarch… Oh well.
I had a great time with the painting scheme on these guys, so I think I will be missing it. These are definitely not the last paras I’ll ever paint, but it’s safe to say that these will have to do until 2015!
Fun fact: I smashed the howitzer all over the floor while undercoating it. Normally I would’ve thrown a tantrum and chucked the thing into a corner to rot until the end of time, but my Red Devils just needed their AT support badly!
Surprisingly, what was supposed to be a sideshow to my Brits has turned out to be the bigger force, at least as they currently stand. Nevertheless, I’m happy to say I’ve also finished work on these malevolent Germans. Painting them was slightly less enjoyable than with their British counterparts, but in the end I just persevered. Let’s take a look.
First up we have these four guys, completely analogous to the British force. I tried out some games of Bolt Action with small, completely equal forces last night, and it caught on really well with non-wargaming people. It got me thinking to do some bigger games with them using more specialists, so with flamers and snipers on both sides I think I’ve got the necessary assets.
This Panzerschreck will probably not be seeing action soon, as I have no vehicles in my British army at the moment. Then again, I’m looking for Bolt Action players in the area, so existing players with a bigger army might make me take along these guys.
These three are leftovers from my starter set of Fallschirmjägers. I wasn’t really interested in fielding an additional five-man section with LMG, so I’ve decided to use three of these models as an ‘on the move’ MMG team. I’m working on a modular 60mm round base to put these on; I’m thinking of buying some extra Artizan models with StG44s and FG42s to be able to field a third full section into which I would incorporate the above models, so that’s why I’ve based them separately.
Of course I just had to get a Puma as well – these little cats are simply great looking and pack a punch on the battlefield as well. I’ve put to practice some of the lessons learned on my Hanomag, particularly on the subject of the mud effects.
Unfortunately I seem to have misplaced the decal sheet that came with the Hanomag, so I’ve freehanded the Balkenkreuz and numbers on instead. You can easily see this in the pictures, but it looks okay in real life.
That’s all I have to show you today, folks, but I hope you’ve enjoyed this big update. I’m currently working on a couple of units: some Vikings with dane axes and the first ACW zouaves. But first I’m going to celebrate my birthday some more. Thanks for visiting the blog, and until next time!