1e Légère and First Napoleonic Battle

I just came back from our Thursday evening club night, and the French army I packed with me have good reason to celebrate the evening’s work over their bowl of snail stew! Jan from the Red Barons was kind enough to pitch his Nassau forces against my citoyens, using the Waterloo rules (the very last Warhammer Historical ruleset that came out before GW shut that down, to their dubitable benefit). Short story for the battle: his two cannon shoot away a third of the unit below causing it to waver, I cannon snipe his general with ridiculous amounts of luck involved (I was actually aiming for the infantry in front of him), and then his army crumbles due to not having the commander’s modifiers for morale tests and the like.

Randomness aside though, it’s a great ruleset – 6th edition Warhammer is where I started out thirteen years ago, and I immediately felt right at home in Waterloo (pun unintended). We’ll be sure to use this ruleset a lot more.

I do have some models to show you though!

All models by Perry Miniatures; plastic French with a metal command group.

All models by Perry Miniatures; plastic French with a metal command group.

I started work on this battalion, the 1st battalion of the 1st Light Infantry, already in August of last year. I took some horrible pictures of the first eight infantrymen back then, so I think you’ll find these to be a lot better! These guys fought under General de Brigade Baudin in the division commanded by Jérôme Bonaparte at Quatre-Bras.

 

A close-up of the command models. I had these brought back from Salute for me, so they're fresh as daisies!

A close-up of the command models. I had these brought back from Salute for me, so they’re fresh as daisies!

I painted up the grenadiers and voltigeurs a while back, but I somehow forgot to display them on the blog, so now’s a good time as any! I painted the newer models by using my guilliman blue spray (girly man blue if you play Ultramarines, after their primarch Robust Girlyman) then washed with drakenhof nightshade and drybrushed with caledor sky.

 

The flag needs more detailing, obviously. I'll freehand something once I've gathered my wits.

The flag needs more detailing, obviously. I’ll freehand something once I’ve gathered my wits.

The rest of the unit was business as usual – some frustrating white details but otherwise really straightforward. One thing to note is that I used mainly the non-greatcoated models from my plastic pile, to show off the specific light infantry uniforms.  This means I have a lot of greatcoated models lying around, which should speed up the next battalion’s paintjobs severely.

That’s all for this Napoleonic update, folks. I’ve taken another look at the Quatre-Bras OOB and I’m thinking of condensing the brigades into three battalions each, and spreading the divisional artillery batteries between the brigades. By the end of this year I’d like to get Jérôme’s division done in this way, which means three more infantry battalions and a smattering of artillery. We’ll see how that goes. Thanks for reading and until next time!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s