Sneak Update – second French Légère battalion on the way

It’s that time of the year again – the one-hundred and ninety-ninth anniversary of the Waterloo campaign is upon us, and so my pile of Frenchmen gets some acrylic love. Ewww. A couple of weeks back I finally finished the first battalion of the 1e Légère, and I decided to strike while the iron is hot and dive straight into the second battalion of that regiment.

Before I show you the newly painted models, let’s first take a look at the Quatre-Bras order of battle, and specifically the 1st Brigade of Jérôme Bonaparte’s division, part of II corps:

     Gen de Brigade Baudin

  • 1st Btn, 1st Legere Regt (625 approx)
  • 2nd Btn, 1st Legere Regt (625 approx)
  • 3rd Btn, 1st Legere Regt (600 approx)
  • 1st Btn, 3rd Line Regt (600 approx)
  • 2nd Btn, 3rd Line Regt (600 approx)

There’s no way I’m going to be painting five or even six battalions per brigade, so I’m going to simplify this brigade into the following form:

        Gen de Brigade Baudin

  • 1st Btn, 1st Legere Regt
  • 2nd Btn, 1st Legere Regt
  • 1st Btn, 3rd Line Regt
  • artillery

So in essence I’ve retained the character of the brigade – a majority of light over line infantry – but I’ve condensed it into something I can actually paint in a few years’ time without going mad. Even with this downsizing, I’ll still have eighteen battalions in my army! If I’m not sick of painting dark blue after that, I’m going to go back in and add the ‘missing’ battalions to their respective brigades.

Anyway, enough banter about boring lists, here are the models:

Models by Perry Miniatures, as is usually the case.

Models by Perry Miniatures, as is usually the case.

This is the first Napoleonic battalion I’m painting in batches of 12 instead of 8. This new batch size hasn’t bothered me in the slightest so henceforth all my units will be done thus. As you can see I went with the flank companies and command models first – they’re always a bit trickier to get right with their more elaborate shako decorations, not to mention the drummer’s vest! The next batch of uniquely centre company chaps will be more straightforward as a result.

 

A closeup of the battalion commander and drummer, with all the crudeness of my paintjob exposed.

A closeup of the battalion commander and drummer, with all the crudeness of my paintjob exposed.

One last thing I want to mention about these models are the two above. Quite a suggestive pose the officer is attempting with his scabbard, no? Still a nice miniature, though; they’re also metals from the Perry command pack I picked up earlier. But that drummer boy takes the cake – when I had a good look at him and noticed his bandaged head, I just had to bloody it up. Heroic!

That’s it for today! I have some more crusaders incoming, but I’m also starting a new job on Tuesday which leaves me a little uncertain about how actively I’ll be able to paint next week. In any case, I hope you liked reading this much overdue blog update, and until next time!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s