Remember those ACW I was recently gifted? It turned out the previous owner Henk had a lot of unpainted Prussians, so I’m commission painting again to repay him for his generosity. Three 36-strong battalions to be done in total, and I’ve just finished half of the first unit. Let’s take a look.
First off, something about the models themselves: I’m really not 100% sold on these. While they’re fairly cheap they’re also not poseable in any way, and you get just three different sculpts for the basic infantry. This makes for some very predictable painting which, although it speeds things up, makes for a repetitive experience. Then again, the sculpts themselves are fairly characterful with some deep detailing, which makes picking out the belts and buttons easy. Warlord Games does do some extra blister packs with alternative models, command groups etc., but it’s not up to me to collect them in this case!
I painted these with – yet again – a guilliman blue undercoat to start off with, followed by blocking in ceramite white on the trousers, runefang steel on the metal and adeptus battlegrey on black areas. The entirety of the models was then washed nuln oil. Afterwards I blocked in the other areas and washed them as per usual. A special mention goes to the musket slings, these were painted squig orange, an interesting sort of pastel rust colour with uncharacteristically decent coverage properties.
These are meant for Waterloo purposes, so I slapped on some mud as per Henk’s request. I had a pot lying around of Citadel blackfire earth, one of their texture paints, which finally came in handy. I’m considering adding mud to my own French seeing as how they’re meant mostly for the Hundred Days as well.
That’s it for today, folks. I’m currently still working on Kurt’s last crusader spearmen, and I’ve got some Hospitallers on the workbench for my own self. That, and yet more output, will be featured soon on this very blog. Until then!