First update in a long, long time… What’s changed?
Well, first things first: The missus and I bought a house! We moved in a few months back and are finally getting somewhere with furnishing and decorating the place. The house will be 100 years old in a few years. and was renovated by the company that sold it to us, which meant most of the hard work had already been done, but still… Moving house simply isn’t fun!
However, I finally have a dedicated hobby room. I’ll be showing it off in a future post I think, but the obvious comforts I can tell you of is that I now have a lot more room for storage, and a modest gaming table that doesn’t need to be dismantled at the end of each wargames gathering (which, having moved somewhat closer to most of my gaming compatriots, won’t be as few and far between as before).
On the subject of my hobby work: I have continued to paint a good amount of models, too much to mention in this post. I”ll do a round-up post at the end of the year with some thoughts and ponderings so you can catch up.
Now, on to some models!
Like many people I have fallen into Games Workshop’s latest man-trap, namely Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire. The models are awesome, the price is attractive, and the game is said to be fun – I haven’t gotten round to playing yet. These undead sculpts I have freshly painted are simply superb, as you can see.
Over the last few years I have collected and painted a number of undead models, mostly to use in Frostgrave (hence the tombstone-turned-treasure marker). However, I have begun using a unified palette for all of them so that they can be used together for skirmish games such as Dragon Rampant and the like. For this reason I have also opted to use regular 20x20mm bases – you never know when that WHFB nostalgia swings around again!
You’ll notice the distinct green hue to all the colours. I started from a bone-coloured undercoat spray, and after block painting all the colours I washed the models all over with Coelia Greenshade, and the silver parts with a second wash of Drakenhof Nightshade. After that I started highlighting the colours back up again. In this manner I ended up with a very cold-looking colour scheme. I’m especially satisfied with how the bone came out – it’s recognisable as such, but nowhere near the standard type you see on most models of the type.
The one thing I’m not 100% sure about is the fur on two of these models. I might go back over it with a select drybrush to try and turn it a little more grey. Not sure yet.
Well, in closing, I hope this post will still find some readers! I haven’t looked at this blog’s page hits or subscribers in a long, long time, so who knows… It was as lively as a graveyard in here. And on that stupidly apt remark, I shall take my leave. Tah!