Empire Elector Count on Griffon

With having moved house, my parents have been demanding I clear out my old bedroom and… It’s going a little slow! I already cleared out some boxes, binned a few unsalvageable abominations fromthe beginnings of my hobby years, and put aside some old models to be sold second-hand. I did,however, find a gem I’d completely forgotten about: an old Empire Elector Count on Griffon. I really like the sculpt – classic Trish Morrison griffon plus classic Perry rider, from the year of our lord 2000,
so I really wanted to give it another go. However, the model had become detached from its base, the rider was in a completely different box and had lost its shield… And, to top it off, I remembered I had once converted it into a High Elf prince on griffon, and there was a pair of plastic Silver Helm legs still clinging to the saddle. Snippety snip! I placed the model on a 50x50mm square base, gave the rider a new shield from the Empire Knightly Orders box (a kit which is soon to be 18 years old, too!) and
started on my quest to give the model a more decent paintjob.

cof

For the griffon I decided to go with a very basic colour scheme; the lion part was basecoated zandri dust, washes with agrax earthshade, then highlighted first with zandri dust and then ushabti bone. The hawk parts were a bit more involved; I started off from a dryad bark basecoat, then drybrushed the brownish parts xv-88, the white parts rakarth flesh and then white, and the black parts grey. Finally, I applied agrax earthshade to the brown feathers, and a black wash from Vallejo to the tips of the wings to turn them black. Job’s a good ‘un, in my book.

cof

I had less of a blank slate to work off with the rider, seeing as how the 15-year- old me had painted him to the best of his abilities – such as they were in 2001! The face is practically unchanged, apart from a purple wash I applied to counteract the apparent jaundice – back then I painted skin with bronzed flesh, applied a flesh wash and highlighted with bleached bone, which is incredibly yellow! I applied a final highlight of kislev flesh which came out okay. Otherwise, everything was fairly standard. I washed the armour – which had been drybrushed with some old metallic – with drakenhof nightshade, added some gold detailing with retributor armour (a
great paint, gold with great coverage!) which was washed with druchii violet, and then highlighted everything with stormhost silver. Some guilliman blue was finally applied to the sword to give it a magical glow.

cof

 

So there you go, one model salvaged. I based the model identically to those of my landsknechts – the idea is that, if I ever touch Warhammer again, I can use my landsknechts as state troops. When pigs fly!

Advertisements

One comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s