More Franks were painted over the course of the last few weeks, but as you’ll see they’re nothing like the previous lot. These are Carolingian Franks from Gripping Beast, and they’re a commission from my friend Alex.
First up, the Warlord. He’s the more colourful of the lot, and I gave him a white horse to stand out that much more.
Two points of mounted Hearthguard. These were also done rather colourfully. I had a good time mixing and matching colours on different garments to make each model unique.
A point of mounted Warriors. For these lower-ranked guys I opted for simple, neutral colours on their garments but then made the shields stand out.
Finally, two points of foot Warriors. As with their mounted comrades I used neutral tones on the garments, and as you can see from their bases I used four different undercoat sprays which would form the base of the models’ tunics. That certainly sped up the painting process!
I’ve just completed painting the last of these models this morning and I’ll be handing them over tomorrow evening. I’m glad to be shot of them, as that means I can focus on my own lead pile again!
It’s time for another Viking update! Emboldened by my quick-but-effective paintjob of those eight Bondi I showed you last week, I went ahead and painted eight more. Just to get that unit finished for Hail Caesar, and to be able to field another point of Warriors in Saga (although I can now field more than two full warbands in that game). Let’s take a look at the finished unit.
The second batch of Warriors was painted similarly to the first, of course, but I used a lot more natural colours this time round. I received some comments on the first batch of Bondi about how colourful they were, and it got me thinking about their supposed level of wealth back in the day. I concluded that my previous Bondi wear clothing that looks a bit too brightly dyed to be historically accurate.
As a result, I used plenty of off-white and pale yellow or brown tones, washed with seraphim sepia or agrax earthshade and then highlighted again. The shields, on the other hand, were left as colourful as the others, so they still blend in well with the first batch.
Other than these new guys, I have a treat for you: a full shot, with a good camera, of my current Viking army. You can click on it for a bigger view, too.
Going clockwise and starting from the top right corner, we have the berserkers (which I will spread out and mix in with other units as they are a unit upgrade in Hail Caesar), a unit of bondi, a unit of hird, the huscarls together with their lord and the bondi archers behind them, then another unit of hird, the new bondi, and finally a unit of slingers. Gracing the background is my cutesy little hovel, of course – I have another terrain project or two coming up soon!
Other than these new Vikings, I spent some time last weekend building up sixteen more bondi from a mixture of Gripping Beast and Wargames Factory plastics. No promises yet, but I will do my utter best to get them painted up this week before I leave for Spain.