Tagged: figures

Hengist and Horsa

It would seem all I’m painting lately are dark age-themed models, but that really isn’t the case. It’s just that I really like painting them and then showing them off. The two models below are for my friend Alex’ warband so I’ll be passing them on in a few days, and as I really like these Footsore Miniatures sculpts I thought I’d show them here first.

 

cof

Both were completed over the course of a day, I can’t really time them. I started out with a drybrush of all the metallics, then blocked in all the colours, washed them with the appropriate GW washes, then highlighted everything at least once.

 

cof

As you can see these models carry enough fur to make those PETA nutjobs cringe, which is precisely why I lavished extra attention on them! You can’t really see in the pictures as they’re a bit overexposed, but I managed to create a lovely gradient towards the edges of the furs, all the while keeping the textured effect intact.

Dark Age models lend themselves particularly well to some freehand patterning, so I opted for some simple lines and dags on these two fellows. I think they’d be a bit too plain looking otherwise.

That’s it for now! As far as Footsore Miniatures are concerned: in my experience they’re the best Dark Age models currently available. I’ve recently painted a small Irish warband of theirs (just awaiting a flag for the standard bearer) which was equally well-sculpted and cleanly cast. Their ranges are still showing large gap but they seem to be filling these at a fair pace. Do give them a try if you haven’t already!

Advertisements

Franks of a Different Stripe

More Franks were painted over the course of the last few weeks, but as you’ll see they’re nothing like the previous lot. These are Carolingian Franks from Gripping Beast, and they’re a commission from my friend Alex.

cof

First up, the Warlord. He’s the more colourful of the lot, and I gave him a white horse to stand out that much more.

 

cof

Two points of mounted Hearthguard. These were also done rather colourfully. I had a good time mixing and matching colours on different garments to make each model unique.

 

 

cof

A point of mounted Warriors. For these lower-ranked guys I opted for simple, neutral colours on their garments but then made the shields stand out. cofcof

Finally, two points of foot Warriors. As with their mounted comrades I used neutral tones on the garments, and as you can see from their bases I used four different undercoat sprays which would form the base of the models’ tunics. That certainly sped up the painting process!

I’ve just completed painting the last of these models this morning and I’ll be handing them over tomorrow evening. I’m glad to be shot of them, as that means I can focus on my own lead pile again!

Austrian Generals for a Friend

Huzzah, another blog update, and this one commemorates the conclusion of a commission piece. I believe the commissioner and his wargaming friends were satisfied with the paintjobs, and so there will be more commission pieces forthcoming. It’ll be a while before I can show you the two Bavarian generals which preceeded these Austrians (and it’s the Bavarian models I’m most proud of, really) but I hope these will sate your WSS appetites. Here goes.

The one on the left is by Front Rank, the other is by Foundry.

The one on the left is by Front Rank, the other is by Foundry.

These two chaps were painted over the course of a single day, with numerous breaks in the painting. Not bad for a single day’s work then, I’d say. The painting sequence was largely identical to that of the French general (see my painting guide for pointers), excepting of course the less copious purple washes.

 

As always, the Foundry models are 'classic' 25mm while other companies have slowly shifted to 28mm.

As always, the Foundry models are ‘classic’ 25mm while other companies have slowly shifted to 28mm.

The only area on these models worth mentioning are the green saddlecloths and sashes. These were basecoated waaagh! flesh (oh my goodness), washed with drakenhof nightshade, then highlighted first with the base colour and then with warboss green. I think it came out nicely – I wanted to avoid too pale or too yellow a green.

So there you go. As you can see I’m trying to catch up with my blog posts. Expect at least two more before the end of the weekend!