Tagged: franks

Franks of a Different Stripe

More Franks were painted over the course of the last few weeks, but as you’ll see they’re nothing like the previous lot. These are Carolingian Franks from Gripping Beast, and they’re a commission from my friend Alex.

cof

First up, the Warlord. He’s the more colourful of the lot, and I gave him a white horse to stand out that much more.

 

cof

Two points of mounted Hearthguard. These were also done rather colourfully. I had a good time mixing and matching colours on different garments to make each model unique.

 

 

cof

A point of mounted Warriors. For these lower-ranked guys I opted for simple, neutral colours on their garments but then made the shields stand out. cofcof

Finally, two points of foot Warriors. As with their mounted comrades I used neutral tones on the garments, and as you can see from their bases I used four different undercoat sprays which would form the base of the models’ tunics. That certainly sped up the painting process!

I’ve just completed painting the last of these models this morning and I’ll be handing them over tomorrow evening. I’m glad to be shot of them, as that means I can focus on my own lead pile again!

Advertisements

Flemish reinforcements

As said in last year’s round-up blog post, I wanted my Flemish army to be one of the focal points of 2014’s project lineup. As such, I set about painting up a couple of units straight away. Let’s take a look!

A block of twelve archers, by Perry Miniatures.

A block of twelve archers, by Perry Miniatures.

These twelve archers were picked up at Crisis last year, and I’m glad I got them. Some great sculpts – unsurprising as they’re Perry material – in that they have the exact amount of detail needed to get the point across. No unnecessary pouches, frills, belt buckles, folds of cloth… no, just trousers, a tunic, a headdress here and there, and weaponry.

 

Another picture from the top. The glare is caused by another spray varnish accident.

Another picture from the top. The glare is caused by another spray varnish accident.

I painted them up as per the other models in the warband, minus the shields which make them a challenge. I think it took me about three days to get these done.

There are of course, these cavalry too:

Six Conquest Games and two Fireforge Games models.

Six Conquest Games and two Fireforge Games models.

This unit is a mix of Fireforge and Conquest Games models. The Conquest Games models were built as standard, but for the Fireforge Games Mounted Sergeants, I used spears from the Foot Sergeants which are a lot shorter. In the end, the models blend in well enough as long as you use roughly similar shields and weapons.

The two Fireforge Games models.

The two Fireforge Games models.

Alright, so that’s my Saga warband covered already! A warlord (three eligible models even!), two units of foot warriors, a unit of crossbow-armed warriors, a unit of bow-armed levy and two points of mounted hearthguard. I’ve tried my hand at one game with them using them as Capetian Franks, but it wasn’t a complete success. Anyway, I have a further unit of levies to paint up, as well as more infantry and cavalry, so I’ll try them out as Normans and as Anglo-Danes with Hereward as well.

That’s it for today, take care and check back soon!