Tagged: victrix

Carthaginians!

With my Late Romans so close to completion I’ve given in to the allure of another ancients project… the flesh is weak! Spurred on by the release of Victrix’ Iberian infantry the Punic wars are a hot topic in our club, and I am the only one to have chosen the armies of Carthage.

I’ve picked up a box of Victrix Carthaginians, which will form the backbone of my collection, and I’ve added a number of extra command groups from Crusader Miniatures as well as cavalry from the latter. Of course I’ve also purchased the Hannibal foot and mounted model; the former will be converted into a Libyan captain of sorts. Let’s get on with this post and look at the first unit!

20160503_192715

The middle base has a bog standard Crusader Miniatures command group, those on the left and right are Victrix plastics. As you can see the Vixtrix models are slightly taller and certainly more active looking, but otherwise they fit in fine.

20160503_192739

I’ve painted these over a red undercoat – I was expecting to paint them with a lot more red, but eventually I used a lot more colours on these to keep them lively. As a definite first I’ve used plenty of pictorial reference material, mainly in the form of a couple of Ospreys I managed to pick up on the cheap!

20160503_192807

Traditionally I’ve always gone for freehanded shield designs, but I think I’d go mad if I tried to replicate the shield designs you see above! So these are my first Little Big Men transfers, and I’m fairly happy with how they turned out. Things were a bit dicey when I applied black wash to the shield boss, as some of the wash decided to run underneath some imperceptible bubbles in the transfer, so I did have to go in with some paint to tidy up afterwards. Other than that, these transfers do make an average paintjob look smashing!

That’s it for now. Sorry for the long hiatus (more than a month, ouch), I don’t have as much free time as I used to and I prefer to spend it on painting instead of writing about painting. So I don’t know when the next update will follow, but rest assured – I haven’t forgotten this blog!

 

Monster Update part three: Greek Hoplites

And so we come to part three of our Monster Update! This will be the final part for today, but I do have other stuff lined up for the coming week. In this blog update: Greeks. If you read my Crisis 2013 show report, you’ll have gathered that I have come into possession of nearly a hundred hoplites in a rather haphazard way. I couldn’t resist building and painting some test models, so here we go.

A mix of the (altogether very similar) Athenian and Mercenary Hoplites kits by Victrix.

A mix of the (altogether very similar) Athenian and Mercenary Hoplites kits by Victrix.

I have to say, I do like these kits, even though there are a few flaws. First off: why four different kits (Athenians, Spartans, Thebans and mercenaries) for what amounts to, in the end, small differences in headdress and accessories? Doesn’t make much business sense to me; and the right honourable Dave Thomas had a huge stack of Thebans on discount at Crisis 2013 and not a single of the other types, for instance. Another problem is that some of the bodies have their shield arms attached, and the hands on those shield arms are much bigger than those on the separate weapon arms. A nasty rendering problem, but not unforgivable as the shields cover it up. And other than that, the kit is excellent, with particularly well-rendered detail on the linothorax armour and a wide variety of poses you can achieve.

Take a look at the left and right shoulders of these models and you'll see I messed this up spectacularly.

Take a look at the left and right shoulders of these models and you’ll see I messed this up spectacularly.

I decided to try out some new approaches to painting on these models. They were undercoated white, and I basecoated the cloth areas in lothern blue before applying a drakenhof nightshade wash all over. I then painted the metal bits in runefang steel; the iron bits were washed nuln oil and agrax earthshade, which is fairly standard, but the bronze deserves special mention. I used successive washes of seraphim sepia, fuegan orange and druchii violet. This is the first time I’ve used fuegan orange, it’s a rather strong dark orange wash. I can’t see myself using it quite often, but it worked out well on this bronze.

Moving on, the skin, wood and leather were painted as per usual. The armour was highlighted with ceramite white while its edges were picked out in caledor sky. This blue was applied to the shield, too. The shields will definitely receive decoration; a sheet of waterslide transfers is currently in the mail. I’ll show you the results once I’ve got an entire 24-strong unit painted and based.

This project will probably be put on ice for quite some time, but at least my hoplite fixture was sated (I’ve been playing a lot of Total War: Rome II lately, you see). With the two 48-strong Victrix kits I’ve got enough hoplites to build four units, which is enough for a well-sized division in Hail Caesar, and I might be ready to pick up a command model and some peltasts at Crisis 2014. We’ll see how it goes!