Tagged: war of succession

RĂ©giment de Dragons du Dauphin

Sometimes you just have to clench your teeth and paint on despite a healthy dislike of the model(s) on your desk – I’m sure all of you miniature painters reading this will be able to relate. For me, the models below were quite a chore to get done. New problems kept cropping up during painting, which made me throw down my brushes and wander off more than once. Still, they’re done and ready to be shown.

Models by Foundry - just one sculpt for the troopers makes for tedious painting.

Models by Foundry – just one sculpt for the troopers makes for tedious painting.

As you can witness from the (temporary) bases, I used my new Army Painter undercoat sprays on the horses – fur brown, desert yellow and leather brown – and white and black too, obviously. Not having to basecoat them by hand saves a bit of time – I just slapped on an agrax earthshade wash and then highlighted them with deathclaw brown, zandri dust and gorthor brown respectively. Same for the riders: a guilliman blue undercoat sped them up as well.

 

wssdragoons2

I took the time to add some woodgrain to their carbines.

From then on, it was supposed to be straightforward, but the models somehow didn’t react favourably to my brush strokes. It’s hard to explain, but I kept on making mistakes, accidentally painting over previous work or forgetting to paint certain bits. Still, I’m glad they turned out well. They’ll look better once the owner rebases them on 25x50mm format bases – these are just temporary – and adds the correct flag.

With this unit finished, the War of the Spanish Succession output will be placed on hold for the time being – I’ve too much of my own lead-and-plastic pile that requires my attention, plus some Gripping Beast crusaders for another friend. But keep your eyes peeled, because this evening I’ll put another blog post up!

Advertisements

Irishmen of Berwick

I’m having a very productive month of April, so I thought I’d share some of my output with you again. The regiment below is yet another WSS commission for my wargaming chum Alex, this time Berwick. The pictures are extremely shoddy as I was running out of time and I had to use the iPad for it, but they’ll give you at least an idea of it.

Some lovely models by Ebor, sculpted by Paul Hicks.

Some lovely models by Ebor, sculpted by Paul Hicks.

These models are from Ebor, the same as the Swiss ones I painted up back in January, although these are predominantly firing poses as opposed to the marching ones from back then. It’s a bit of a shame that the command group is the same; the unit would benefit from its command models standing still instead of marching. Oh well, as long as the owner’s happy with them!

 

The models will be based and provided with flags by the owner.

The models will be based and provided with flags by the owner.

I painted this entire unit in just two days, which is quite rapid by my standards. Basecoating them red helped immensely, as well as washes. This time I block painted most of the colours over the red before applying a dip-style agrax earthshade wash to the entire model, and I then reapplied some of the basecoats as a highlight tone. I painted them all in a single batch, which I usually don’t like that much – twelve-strong batches are often more than enough for me. Still, I persevered and it paid off handsomely. They’re not the best paintjobs I’ve ever done but I think with proper basing they’ll certainly look the part!

That’s about it for today, though. I have one further unit I’ll be blogging on this weekend, and then it’s off to more commission painting – the new Gripping Beast crusaders!

Swiss Regiment Erlach Emmanuel

Despite my comments to the contrary, I’ve taken up a commission recently – and finished it in four days. I only managed to take pictures of half the unit, as the second batch was completed just an hour before handing them over to the owner.

All models by Ebor, and sculpted by Paul Hicks.

All models by Ebor, and sculpted by Paul Hicks.

How did I paint 24 models in four days? Well, look at the models’ foot tabs. With the majority of their uniforms being red, I decided to use a mephiston red spraycan from GW to undercoat them. This red was drybrushed with wild rider red, and the blue parts were basecoated caledor sky, followed by a purple wash over the entire model. That’s half the model already!

 

Not much variety in the sculpts, which helped things along as well.

Not much variety in the sculpts, which helped things along as well.

After that, the browns were mainly just basecoats of different tones with an agrax earthshade wash over it all. The white buttons were rather fiddly, but with ceramite white it’s never really an issue.

The owner is going to base these and add the right flags, so maybe the completely finished unit will grace this blog in the future. We’re gearing up for a Blenheim wargame sometime this year, and there’s still plenty of regiments to be finished; I think I’ll be doing some more of these infantry soonish!